Wednesday, April 8, 2009

It's Knitting Wednesday

Okay, when I wrote this it was Wednesday. It is now Thursday! I'm still keeping the title as is ;)

We knit! We especially knit on Wednesdays! A good friend offered to teach me and my girls how to knit and she has brought more to the table than I could have ever dreamed of.




We have learned about the different types of fibers and touched all of them-from angora to cashmere to camel. So much fun.


We have opened and spun a silkworm.

We made our own spinners and we know how to use them. This is the silk from the silkworm that has been spun by Paige into useable silk. (Wow! Figure out that sentence :)_)

We have combed two different types of fibers together to make them one. We've blended colors by combing. We've felted wool and made little orbs-we consider this our own solar system.

And now? we are knitting. We're knitting balls using 3 different colors-Today we are going to learn how to cast off and we will finish the ball. Then a new project will come. All from my friend! We love Wednesdays! (I've lost the camera with the photos of the current knitting project. I'll post a photo when I find the lost camera.)

3 comments:

Rebecca Pierce said...

I love knitting! You should invite my mom so that she can learn. I was AMAZED at Pike Place Market yesterday, there is a newer store toward a waterfront view on the west side of the building...anyway, full of handmade, DARLING hats. Seriously, they are so, so cute with flowers and lady bugs and you name it. Anyway, I asked the girl, "WHO MADE THESE?" and she said that her mom and grandma made them all BY HAND. There were probably a dozen of maybe 50 different styles. I'm not exaggerating. AMAZING.

Heather, Rex, etc. said...

That is so cool! I would love to learn all that!

Kristin said...

I love to knit. I find it so relaxing, plus you can do it while doing most other things.

You're knitting is much more adventurous than mine. Maybe David can go to grad school in the northwest...